CMS recently released a final rule that specifies criteria that eligible professionals (EPs) meet in order to participate in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. The final rule’s provisions encompass 2015 through 2017 (Modified Stage 2) as well as Stage 3 in 2018 and beyond.
Here’s what you need to know about meeting EHR Incentive Programs requirements in 2015:
- All providers are required to attest to a single set of objectives and measures. So this replaces the core and menu structure of the previous stages. So For EPs the good news is that there are only 10 objectives, including one consolidated public health reporting objective compared to the 17 measures.
- In 2015, all providers must attest to objectives and measures using EHR technology certified to the 2014 Edition
- If you are doing stage 1 in 2015 then there are alternate exclusions and specifications within individual measures for providers who were previously scheduled to be in Stage 1 of meaningful use. These include:
- Allowing providers who were previously scheduled to be in a Stage 1 EHR reporting period for 2015 to use a lower threshold for certain measures.
- Allowing providers to exclude Modified Stage 2 measures in 2015 for which there is no Stage 1 equivalent.
- In 2015, the EHR reporting period for all providers will be any continuous 90 – day period from January 1st through December 31st.
Please click the cms links below for more information.
Tip Sheet – https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EHRIncentivePrograms/Downloads/Stage3_EP.pdf